Monday, April 12, 2010

Baby Nudges

This is my first time trying to blog while pregnant. I'm discovering that it is difficult for me. Really, keeping up with any project has been difficult for me. I have ZERO motivation to do anything other than read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth for the hundredth time!

Let me tell you what I have been trying to work on, with no real success, during this pregnancy.
 -I have been trying to sew a patchwork skirt. It is so ridiculously close to being done...but it has been sitting in the closet for the past two months.
-I have a series of three paintings (that are actually pregnancy/childbirth/breastfeeding related) that I started, but haven't finished yet. They have been sitting under the computer desk for the past three months.
-I have been trying to read some casual fiction books. I made it through Alice in Wonderland, but not Through the Looking Glass.
-I always try to work on housework (i.e., halfheartedly straighten up). I don't think there is ever real success there.
-I have been trying to learn Spanish with the Rosetta Stone software on which we spent a small fortune. Pretty much as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I started napping instead of speaking espanol!

Sadly, I don't even think that is know that isn't a complete list of the things I have been unsuccessful in completing (see, I can't even make a complete list)! I blame the baby -poor unborn kiddo- for "eating my brain". Spoonerisms and my new found (and rarely needed before) relationship with spell check are also evidence that my brain is slowly liquefying this pregnancy.

BUT, I am finally getting to the part of being pregnant that makes being pregnant super fun! First of all, the smell of food no longer makes me want to lay on the couch and die. That's always a good thing! Second, the bloat that put me in maternity clothes at 8 weeks has now grown into a bonefide baby belly...and people are commenting on it and my pregnancy! "You have such a cute belly!" "How are you feeling?" "You're lookin' pregnant now!" You know you are pregnant when you get comments like those!

And finally....(we'll ignore the heartburn, because that isn't super fun)....baby nudges! I am finally feeling the baby move and kick every day. I felt a tiny little flutter one day around 12 weeks. Then nothing for a week or so. Then I felt another little nudge. Then nothing. Then a little more. They are building up, slowly and calmly, but steadily.

When I was pregnant with Bug, I felt the first movements at 16 weeks. And from what I remember, they picked up very quickly. And they got pretty hard, really fast. The hubs even got to feel the movement by 20 weeks.

This time, it isn't coming on so rapidly. I DID feel movement much earlier. But it hasn't come on all at once. (I'm really thinking, and hoping, that this baby is a girl. I know every pregnancy is different, but I can still hope!) This baby is much more mellow. I'm totally ok with that! Bug is a firecracker!! I need a chill kid to keep the family balanced. Even now, at the time of my previous pregnancy when other people could feel the jabs, the kicks I feel are feeble. But it is enough to know that I really do have a healthy baby growing in there. It is very satisfying.

The next 20 or so weeks are going to just fly by!

2 comments:

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

omg totally crazy coincidence- i am currently working on a patchwork skirt for lilly! lol
and baby nudges- i feel the same way! i felt it for the first time at 14 weeks, then not for a while, then every now and then. doc says you should feel it everyday once you hit 16 weeks... definately not me! even now at 20 weeks just every now and then. crazy. well i find out what "it" is a week from thursday... that would be so funny if our pregnancies continue to be so similar... may not turn out to be such a surprise for you after all.... lol

Scotty said...

Hey don't spoil it for us. lol.