Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The things we do for them.

Once you become a parent, you become crazy. Really, stinkin', absolutely crazy. Ok, well...maybe it's just a mom thing. And maybe it really doesn't only happen once you become a parent. Sometimes you can be really crazy all the time. Whichever way, I can't get out of it. I am pretty much crazy.

My cousin got married this past Monday in Nauvoo, IL. It was beautiful to be in the House of the Lord with my family. It always is.

For the occasion, the Hubs, Bug and I all hopped in our car and drove the 8-9 hours to Nauvoo. We left Friday at about 9pm Ohio time. We arrived in Nauvoo at about 4am Illinois time. This is where we were being crazy. I drove most of the way, because the Hubby can't handle night driving as well as I can. As a consequence, I didn't sleep AT ALL until we got to Nauvoo. And then I only slept about an hour before we walked around Historic Nauvoo. And I only slept that hour cramped up in our car...because NOTHING IS OPEN AT 4AM...NOT EVEN THE FRONT DESK OF THE HOTEL WE RESERVED. Isn't that crazy!?!

Here is a list of our excuses for being so crazy:
-We love being spontaneous. We weren't planning on leaving until early Saturday morning. But, with the excitement of a vacation and seeing family again, we packed up the car and left.
-Bug sleeps when he is in the car. So, he would sleep the whole way almost if we drive at night. Then he would sleep that night well. If we drove during the day, he would sleep in the car during the day, and he would want to stay up all night.
-Less traffic.

Wow...what a little list. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not to drive all night. But Bug did handle the trip really well. By the time we arrived at our destination, though, I was completely slap-happy, delirious, paranoid and hallucinating. I swear that I suffer from schizophrenia induced by sleep deprivation. I turn into a complete psycho.

All in all, the trip was fun. But, boy oh boy, are we glad to be back home!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

We prefer to drive at night, though we don't manage to drive all night like that...the kids conk out somewhere vaguely around their bedtime (or an hour later, LOL!) and we just drive...I fall asleep usually around 11 or 12, but Hubby gets a mountain dew and keeps going until usually 2 or even 3...then he pulls over someplace and gets a little sleep too... Inevitably when I sleep in the car I wake up by 6 desperately needing a bathroom, so I wake Hubby enough to trade places and I start driving...
We may not drive straight through, but on the other hand we've covered MANY miles in a 24hr period doing that, and no camping fees or hotel costs...we do it for single nights all the time, but the time we did it two nights in a row was pretty bad...I really don't recommend that!