Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In the Alphabet Book

Several months ago, we bought Bug some alphabet books. I have been wanting some cute books to help me teach him all those things that mothers are supposed to teach their toddlers (ABC's, colors, shapes, etc.) The pack of alphabet books we got contained 26 books. One book for each letter of the alphabet. And in each book, there are three, easy-to-turn-by-toddler-fingers cardboard pages. Each page has a picture of something that begins with the letter that the book is dedicated to. Cute, fun, easy.

Bug will bring me a pile of the books and have me read each one to him several times, while he points and tries to repeat everything I say. Except, Bug doesn't need to repeat everything after me, because already knows some of the words for the pictures. I am always excited when Bug shows some new bit of knowledge, without excessive prompting from mom or dad!

I think Bug's favorite alphabet book is the "F" book. Why? Because he knows all the words for the pictures on his own! The "F" book pictures include a fish, a flower and a foot. Bug brings the book over to me and climbs and wiggles his way onto my steadily vanishing lap. Then he opens the book to the first page. There is a picture of a fish. Bug points and says, "fsh".

"That's right!" I praise my son, as he gazes up at me with a smug little expression on his face. Then, he turns the page. There is a picture of a flower. Bug points and says, "fower".

"Yep, that's a flower!" I confirm that he is correct. Bug is so proud of himself for knowing words without any help from mommy. He turns to the last page, the picture of a foot. He points at the foot and looks toward me, ready to impress me once again. He is sure that he knows this word, too.

Without a single pause of uncertainty, Bug declares the name of the foot, "Ew!"

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Hahaha! That is too cute!

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

lol what a funny kid! i totally agree :)

Mimi Collett said...

Haha. :) He's a smartie!