Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Uhhh...Whoops.

I am very strict about what my kid eats. And everybody knows it. My mom threatened to feed him a pickle once, and I told her that if she did, she wouldn't be allowed to babysit him EVER AGAIN. I get to decide what he eats. And when. Although that is proving to be more and more difficult, as Bug is deciding that he really wants to eat big people food now.

The other day, we were over at my parents' house. Hanging out, eating their food, the usual. After dinner, we had some ice cream. Mint chocolate chip for me, and raspberry chocolate chip for anyone who didn't want mint (who wouldn't want mint?)

Of course, Bug was there next to me. Begging, whining. So, I sucked the ice cream off of a piece of chocolate and gave it to him. (I'm not sure which would be worse for him to have, the ice cream or the chocolate?) He stopped whining as he enjoyed his little treat. Then, he moved along to my dad...because grandpa is always a sucker for begging babies. My dad gave Bug a little spoonful of raspberry ice cream.

"Did you just give him ice cream?!??!" I asked, shocked.
"Yeah, isn't that what you just gave him?" my dad was a little confused.
"NO!" I shrieked, "I gave him a piece of chocolate!"
"Oh."
Sigh. My kid is going to have digestional problems, and allergies, and diabetes, and tooth decay, and obesity, and heart problems, and cancer, and every other health problem I can think of.

4 comments:

Karena said...

The more kids you have...the more your illusion of control gets smaller. I was the same way. All you can do is your best and forgive the rest.

Mommy Bee said...

Hahahaaa. My dad always tried to give each kid either soda pop or a potato chip as their first food.
I think it's wise to avoid dairy-based foods until a year old or so, and longer if you've got a family history of allergies...but honestly if you don't have allergies in the family, don't stress it TOO much. Remember that formula-fed babies are eating cows milk from day one, and most of them turn out ok :)
Besides which, ice cream is probably safer than dirt. ;)

Rachel said...

If it makes you feel better my oldest two had much ice cream before their 1st bday. My 3rd did not. And he is the one currently allergic to milk.

Future Mama said...

Oh my goodness!! I didn't know giving them stuff at a yuong age could make them allergic to it. Hmm, that doesn't seem right to me, I'm sure my mom had no idea what she was feeding me half the time and the only thing I'm allergic to is penecilin (although I don't like milk).

But if it makes you feel better... I'm the same way with my dog. I don't feed him table scraps and I HATE when people try to give him some.