Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Poppies...Poppies

I love watching my little guy when he gets tired. Well, sometimes. He does seem to get pretty cranky, and he puts up a good fight. But, all the same, those cute little yawns make me smile. My brother-in-law has told me that when Bug yawns, that he looks like the mouse from the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Honestly, he does...and he magically becomes so irresistible that I just have to give him a big cuddle hug!

Bug has a distinct, higher-than-normal pitched cry that indicates he is tired. Tired, but totally unwilling to cave into that wonderful sleep. It is easiest for me to get him to sleep by nursing him, but sometimes he doesn't know if he really wants to nurse or not. This usually ends up with me switching back and forth from nursing to pacifier until he makes up his mind...and then he normally falls right asleep. Sadly, I trick him into sleep when he may not REALLY need it, just so I can sit and read or get some other things done (like showering). He does tend to be a restless sleeper though. He rubs his hands all over his face, and arches his back, and wiggles even though he isn't really awake. When he starts this act, I quickly try to keep him from poking his eyes out, because that tends to wake him up from his blissful, little nap!

Eventually, he does have to wake up. Usually, he chooses to do this at the most inconvenient time for me...like when I using the restroom. While he whines for attention like any newly awakened babe, I'm yelling to him, "Just a minute, Bug! Mommy's on the potty!" I always wonder how well our neighbors can hear what goes on in our apartment! Other times, when I'm not doing anything else when Bug wakes up, I love to be with him. He has that aura about him that clearly shows he has just regained consciousness. Maybe a little confused, but satisfied at the same time. He gives me big smiles, and then he usually lets off a big poop sound. No, he's not "smiling" because he's pooping...he really thinks it's funny. What can I say, he's a boy!

No comments: