Friday, December 5, 2008

Onward, ever Onward

In my excitement over Bug's new talent of crawling forward, I posted only a single line of text. WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!? Bug crawling has a classic "Mother's Lament" story to go along with it. And the lament is more than just the fact that I now have to follow him around the house to make sure he doesn't chew on the Christmas light cords...or anything paper that he may find within reach...or our baseboards, which may or may not have lead in them.

Every day, I am home with Bug. All day, every day. I do get some breaks. Like when my husband watches Bug so I can take a shower all by myself! And we do get a date night about once a month, when we dump Bug off at one of his grandmothers' houses. But, more or less, I am with the kid 24/7. And I mostly love it. I get to know him better than anyone else. I see all facets of his personality. I get to teach him. I get to cuddle with him. I get to see all of his firsts....but apparently, I don't bring them out in him. That would be Papa's job.

I don't know how many times I got Bug down on his hands and knees and knelt down in front of him, encouraging him to "Come to Mama!" I guess that's when he learned how to crawl backward. He was stuck in reverse for several weeks. And still I trained and encouraged him to go forward. Then, one day when my husband got home from work, Bug was trying his hardest to crawl forward to him. He moved his hands. And he moved his little legs. He scooted. He went down onto his belly in his classic "Superman" pose. He got back up, and crawled just a little bit more to his Papa. Oh, how my heart nearly melted. It was very exciting! And I guess Bug gets just as happy for Daddy to be home as I do!

No comments: